Monday, November 14, 2011

Being Thankful

Sitting here, I am thinking about how I have seen so many challenges in my friends lives lately.  And I've seen some in my own, nobody's perfect.
But it really makes me think about what I have and reminds me to be thankful.
And appreciate what is in my life.

Today, I think I will share what I am Thankful for:

-A Home -
I am thankful to have a place to call home.  I am thankful that the roof over my head is solid.  I am thankful that my home is large enough to hold guests.  I am thankful that the house I live in, is slowly becoming a warm, welcoming and inviting home.  Not because we are unwelcoming people, but because we are filling it with homey, cozy, and comforting things and memories.  

- A Vehicle -
I have had the same vehicle now for going on 6 years.  This is pretty much a record for me.  I think because I bought it new, I didn't inherit any 'issues' or 'character'.  It was all acquired on my own!  I am thankful that said vehicle starts every morning when I want to leave.  I am thankful that it is large enough to carry my children to their various activities.  I am thankful that it is small enough to get ridiculous gas mileage.  I am thankful for the Character she has acquired over the last 6 years.  Nothing fancy like my old cars (no ashtray that is stored under the drivers seat, no garbage bags over any of the windows, no duck tape...anywhere, wipers that work, brakes that work, and a transmission that works!)

- A Job -
Now everyone has gripes about thier job.  Don't get me wrong, I definately have my gripes just like everyone else.  And I know everyone always says, "You should be grateful to have a job to go to".  And I am.  But I am also very grateful to work for the company that I do.  There is a lot to be said for Employee Appreciation.  And GE is great at it.  It is wonderful to be rewarded for a job well done.  And by rewarded, I actually mean rewarded.  Movie days, Lunches, Gift Cards, Game days...all of these things (and a few more) are things I get to do, courtesy of the wonderful company I work for.  But they are not just given away either, we all must work towards these rewards.  And working well is what we do.

- Children -
As I typed this, I was thinking to myself, "what the hell are you thinking?!"  But, really, I am grateful to have children.  There are so many people who want to and just can't.  I truly am Thankful that I was able to produce 1 of my own and inherit another. 
I am not so grateful for all the heartache and headache that go along with them sometimes.  But on the same coin, I am grateful that I do have the heartache and headache that go along with them.  If I didn't have that, I wouldn't have children.  How on earth I was blessed with such a wonderful daughter is beyond me, and now I have 2, and I love them both dearly.  Even when they are lazy, even when they talk back, even when they push the limits and even when I want to strangle them.  I am Thankful for them.  And love them more than chicken.

- Pets -
Yes.  Pets.  I've never really been one for "Furry Animals".  So when I got a cat for Addie, this was a HUGE step out of my comfort zone.  And when I met Deron, he had a stinky, old, bad-mannered dog.  And I hated him.  Like not even really disliked, but really hated. In fact, at one point, I told him "It's me or the dog!"  He simply smiled and said "You'll learn to love him"  and I did.  Brew was there for me through some very difficult times and I was able to have that unconditional love and companionship that he so freely offers.  And I love him very much.  I love all of our pets, but Brew will always have a special place, cause he broke me.
We also have our very own Jake (above mentioned cat) back at our house now and couldn't be more happy about it. 

-My Health-
There are so many people fighting for their health, and fighting for their lives.  And I'm not.  I am in relatively good health, no big issues.  And for that I am thankful.  I am grateful to wake up every morning, and I am thankful that I am able to take in great big breaths and walk and talk and use my limbs.  I think this is the thing that most of us take for granted.  Watching people wilt away is heartwreching.  Thank you God, for letting me wake up today, and face the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment