Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Stop Overwhelming Me!

I get overwhelmed when I think of all the "other" things I want to do in my daily life. Scrapbook more, garden more, clean up the leaves outside, exercise, count points plus values, volunteer, sell more things online, clean out my poor forsaken garage, organize my buffet, get a handle on all of the things I want to do and then do them, etc.

I had a mental discussion with myself earlier this month and decided that I would carry a full size notebook with me to track all of the things that I wanted to track.  Track my eating, track my moods while I was eating, track my exercise, track my water intake, track my spending, track my irrational urge to spend money I don't have, track my communication (yes, I wanted to track that I touched base with at least 1 person who does not live in my house every day).  Really, there were so many things - I read too much online about how to track to make your life more efficient.  And then I thought to myself - WHAT!?  Are you really planning on introducing so many things into your life that you need a full sized notebook?  And really, how am I becoming more efficient if I am nailed down to this notebook?  And also, the notebook is big, I would have to switch purses, and I am just not at a point in my life where switching purses is going to end well.

So, what we've (me, myself, & I) decided is that we will focus on 1 thing every day.  This does not mean that all other matter of life will cease to exist. No, this just means, I will need to focus on just 1 thing.  Taking the overwhelming out of the equation.  If I want to obsess about my diet and exercise on the same day - sorry, 1 of these items will need to take a hike.  I can mentally only focus on 1 extra thing in a day.  There are too many other things that take up space in this pretty little head of mine.  And they all require attention - I am ensuring that overload does not occur. 

I plan on trying new recipes and a way to deal with my overabundance of apples, scrapbooking for the girls so they are caught up rather than being stuck in 4th and 9th grades, craft projects involving my ever growing stash of wine bottles, decorating our new home with all kinds of new fangled equipment, training a puppy without throwing it across a room, losing approximately 11 pounds, being able to do abdominal exercises without looking like a beached whale and many other new and exciting adventures. This could get very interesting.

So today, I am going to focus on "shipping items sold online".  Really, I should have done this weeks ago (literally, I forgot they were listed on ebay and got an email 3 days after it sold, that was last week)  I am a bit frightened of the feedback I will receive on this transaction.  I've contacted the buyer and hopefully mended the situation.  But here - on top of all the other things that will take up my day - the only thing that I NEED to get done today is "shipping items sold online".  Should more good come of my day, so be it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment