Wednesday, June 15, 2011

What's a standard? And why am I holding them?

Yes, it is true that I do think I am better than most people.  Mostly, because I don't know most people, so therefore; I am automatically better than them. 

And I do hold different people to different standards.  If you are 5, you have 5 year old standards.  If you are 21, you have 21 year old standards. 
This is also true in your profession.  If you work in the service industry (waiter, phone rep, CS counter, cashier, etc.), there are standards that you should be meeting.  If you are in a professional work environment, there are different standards that you should be meeting. 
So, today, I am contemplating what those standards really should be.  I really think that I may hold people to a higher standard than what they might truly be capable of.  

Because I hold a higher standard to the older child, this is not bad.  The way I feel, at 16, there are a different set of standards.  I also feel that there are a different set of standards when you turn 3,16, 25, 37, 58 and beyond.  So, at 10, should the younger child be held to the same standards as the 16 year old.  No. They should be the same standards that should have been set for the 16 year old when she was 10. 

This is where it gets sticky.  Because I was not there when the 16 year old was 10.  So, MY (and I emphasize MY, because although we have similar ideas, D & I are different parents, and therefore have different standards) 10 year old standards were not exercised on the 16 year old when she was 10.  Therefore, shit. 

And then, I come to work.  Again, shit.  This is where the whole professional workplace, professional standard comes into play.  Is it a natural human behavior to try and place blame?  It seems that this is the first thing coming from anyone when a problem is brought to the table.  All of these people, I love working with, and really love socializing with them, so don't get me wrong, this is not a bitch session.  I guess, I just noticed today that the problem is brought to the table, blame is assigned, no one has any positive feedback or ideas for correction, and we all move on to the next task...we'll have a meeting about the problem later. I did feel for a few minutes, anger.  Then, pity.  Followed by, well if you know the process inside and out and don't have any positive ideas on how to fix it, how the hell do you expect others without your knowledge to fix it.  I then felt a bit like a condesending bitch.  And then I also, moved on. 

Fast Forward to my online Chat with "Simon" the Dish Network representative, who I am fairly certain did not reside in America.  Not that this makes a difference in the quality of service I expect, but it was funny that he did not understand what I was talking about, thru most of the conversation.  Not so much funny, as unprofessional.  He was quoting from the instruction manual.  I know that a lot goes into these instruction manuals, I really do.  And I do enjoy reading them when I get new items, mainly so I don't wreck them.  But, the fact that he was quoting took away the personal experience.  And the fact that my question had nothing to do with the functionality of the machine, well nevermind.  Customer Service is a personal experience.  If there is not a smile on your face, you can tell on the other side of the phone.  As such, if you do not know what you are talking about, it shows in the online help chat window.

So, I guess I have high standards.  And I will forever, that's how I roll.

No comments:

Post a Comment